CIOB launches Academy for the industry- by the industry
A new dedicated training academy developed by the industry for the industry has been launched today by the Chartered Institute of Building to enhance excellence and boost the productivity of the construction sector.
The CIOB Academy is open to anyone working in the built environment. It has been created in consultation with industry partners to meet the needs of an industry that is undergoing unprecedented technological change whilst embracing new challenges, such as smart cities and the low carbon economy.
Head of Academy, Holly Walton said: “Targeted training has an enormous impact on businesses, saving time and money and empowering employees. The Academy will set a new benchmark in training standards. It has been created in response to strong demand from CIOB members who are looking for a consistent quality offering from a brand that they can trust.
“We’ve been working closely with our industry partners to create relevant and practical course content that tracks the latest industry developments. All our courses will be delivered by experienced professionals who understand what it takes to get the job done. Over the next few months, we’ll also be reaching out to our global membership with online offerings and some free CPD sessions.
“The CIOB Academy is providing excellent training by industry, for industry. We welcome further suggestions and collaborations from any interested parties who want to enhance skills and drive up standards within this sector.”
Courses, including digital construction, building conservation and accident investigation, are led by professionals with in-depth industry experience. Each syllabus, tested against expert focus groups, provides practical and relevant learning for specific job roles.
As well as technically-led subjects, the CIOB Academy is helping construction professionals increase their personal effectiveness in areas such as contract negotiation, report writing, project planning and contract management.
Two routes to becoming chartered – a Construction Conversion course for graduates with non-construction backgrounds, and the Chartered Membership Programme that helps those with industry experience achieve degree level recognition, will also be supported through the Academy.
In a further development, CIOB is using the Academy to launch its own certifications programme. Certification enables professionals to demonstrate that their skills and competencies are current and keeping pace with industry and legislative requirements. Training is carried out at CIOB’s state of the art London office in Holborn. It will also be delivered at other locations and offered as an in-house service for industry partners.
As part of CIOB’s commitment to raising global standards in the built environment sector, the Academy will be launching free online CPD sessions in the coming months, including a Massive Open Online Course (MOOC) on Ethics and Compliance.
Find out more by visiting www.ciobacademy.org
NOTES TO EDITORS
The CIOB Academy
· Believes in helping individuals realise their potential in the construction industry, nurturing the right practical skills and attitudes needed for an industry that’s becoming increasingly sophisticated, efficient and technologically advanced. nurturing the right practical skills and attitudes needed for an industry that’s becoming increasingly sophisticated, efficient and technologically advanced.
· Cares deeply about making absolutely clear the next steps that people need to take in order to take their careers forward at whatever stage they are at whether that’s as a certified specialist in low-carbon and green construction, BIM & big data, conservation or as a future leader in management and business strategy.
· Has an ambition to connect learners with funding, mentors and employment to ensure they find the outcomes they seek from learning.
· Encourages collaboration with organisations in order to create efficiencies in practice-based training and development. Is committed to providing effective solutions to help people succeed in the construction industry, reinforced by free and continual professional development, encouraging involvement in networks and providing access to relevant knowledge.
· Will show the world that construction managers who have come through the Academy are a talented and diverse workforce who make a real and positive difference to global challenges in the built environment.
About the Chartered Institute of Building
The Chartered Institute of Building is at the heart of a management career in construction.
We are the world's largest and most influential professional body for construction management and leadership. We have a Royal Charter to promote the science and practice of building and construction for the benefit of society, and we’ve been doing that since 1834. Our members work worldwide in the development, conservation and improvement of the built environment.
We accredit university degrees, educational courses and training. Our professional and vocational qualifications are a mark of the highest levels of competence and professionalism, providing assurance to clients and other professionals procuring built assets.
Further information is available by contacting Saul Townsend on firstname.lastname@example.org or +44 (0) 1344 630 766.