IET logo

IET: Outstanding engineering students awarded scholarships

Engineering students from across the UK have been honoured with prestigious scholarships from the Institution of Engineering and Technology (IET).

The scholarships are part of the IET awards and scholarships programme, which provides £200,000 each year to support young people in their engineering and technology studies.

The BP/IET Faraday scholarship is awarded to James Sinclair Popper. The scholarship is worth £12,000 (£3,000 per year for four years). James, from Swindon, Wiltshire, is studying MEng Engineering at the University of Cambridge.

The Belling Engineering Scholarship is awarded to Simon Schofield. The scholarship is worth £12,000 (£3,000 per year for four years). Simon, from Chelmsford, Essex, is studying MEng (Hons) Engineering Tripos at the University of Cambridge.

The National Electronics Council (NEC) Scholarships are awarded to Matthew Douthwaite and Leonardo Impett. The scholarships are worth £4,000 (£1,000 per year for four years). Matthew Douthwaite, from High Heaton, Newcastle upon Tyne, is studying MEng Electrical and Electronic Engineering at Imperial College London. Leonardo Impett, from Great Shelford, Cambridge, is studying MEng Engineering at the University of Cambridge.

The IET Hawtin Scholarship is awarded to Richard Cadman who is studying MEng (Hons) Engineering Tripos at the University of Cambridge. Richard, from Oulton, Leeds, will receive the scholarship worth £4,000 (£1,000 per year for four years).

The IET Jubilee Scholarships are awarded to Joshua Patrick Bough, Thomas Cole, Jonathan Horne, Rosie Lowther, Adam James Sanders and Marianna Sykopetritou. Each Jubilee Scholarship is worth £2,000.

Joshua Patrick Bough, from Brecon, Powys, is studying MEng Engineering at the University of Cambridge. Thomas Cole, from Orpington, Kent, is studying MEng Engineering at the University of Cambridge. Jonathan Horne, from Malvern, Worcestershire, is studying at the University of Cambridge. Rosie Lowther, from Chichester, West Sussex, is studying MEng Engineering at the University of Cambridge. Adam James Sanders, from Taunton, Devon, is studying MEng Engineering at the University of Cambridge. Marianna Sykopetritou, from Limassol, Cyprus, is studying MEng Engineering at the University of Cambridge.

IET FUSE Scholarships are awarded to Liam Baron, John Anthony Bradshaw and Siena Whiteside. Each FUSE scholarship is worth £4,000 (£1,000 per year for four years). Liam Baron, from County Down, is studying MEng General Engineering at Durham University. John Anthony Bradshaw, from Leatherhead, Surrey, is studying MEng Engineering at the University of Cambridge. Siena Whiteside, from Watlington, Oxfordshire, is studying MEng Engineering at the University of Cambridge.

The Belling Engineering Grants are worth £3,000 and are open to British citizens who are due to commence the final year of an IET-accredited mechanical or electrical engineering MEng degree course in the next academic session.

These grants are made in memory of the late Charles Reginald Belling, who was born at Bodmin, Cornwall in 1884. In 1912 he started his own business in Enfield, manufacturing electric heaters, electric water heaters, electric cookers and immersion heaters.

The four recipients of the Belling Engineering Grants are Iain Chalmers, Benjamin Johnson-Morris, Philip Sibson and Robert Woodward. Iain Chalmers, from Edinburgh, is studying MEng Electronic and Electrical Engineering at the University of Strathclyde. Benjamin Johnson-Morris, from Rochdale, Lancashire, is studying Electronic & Electrical Engineering at the University of Bristol. Philip Sibson, from Chester, is studying MEng Engineering Science at the University of Oxford. Robert Woodward, from Heswall Hills, Wirral, is studying MEng Engineering Tripos at the University of Cambridge.

IET Grants, worth £1,000 each, are awarded to deserving students who are about to start the second, third or final year of an IET-accredited degree programme.

Recipients of IET Grants are:
Miss Nesma Al-Shaikhly studying MEng Electronics and Nanotechnology at the University of Leeds.
Mr Miklós András Danka studying BA (Hons) Computer Science Tripos at the University of Cambridge.
Mr Radu-Stefan Dragan studying MEng Electronic Engineering at the University of Sheffield.
Mr Ciprian Ionut Florescu studying BSc (Hons) Computer Science at the University of Manchester.
Clare Hall, from Ashford, Kent, studying MEng (Hons) Engineering Tripos at the University of Cambridge.
Christopher Hambley from Duffield, Derbyshire, studying MEng Systems and Control Engineering at the University of Sheffield.
Dimitrios Konstantinidis, studying MEng Electrical Engineering at the University of Sheffield.
Rebecca Macindoe, from Balloch, West Dunbartonshire, studying BEng Electronics with Music at the University of Glasgow.
Martin Schuster, from Wolfsburg, Germany, studying MEng Electrical and Electronic Engineering at the University of Manchester.
Mr Marius-Andrei Vrajitoarea, from New Malden, Surrey, studying MEng Electronic Engineering with Nanotechnology at University College London.

IET Awards and Prizes Manager, Linda Deleay said: “These scholarships are awarded only to the most outstanding candidates and to be in receipt of one of these awards is a particular accolade.

“I would like to congratulate each recipient for the contribution they have made, and will make, to improve the lives of those around us and the world in which we live.”

Recipients will formally receive their awards and scholarships at the IET Ambition and Achievement Awards ceremony in central London on Wednesday 9 November.

Ends

Notes to editors:
For more information about IET Awards, visit: http://www.theiet.org/membership/awards/index.cfm
Expert spokespeople are available for interview and comment.
The IET is Europe’s largest professional body of engineers with over 150,000 members in 127 countries.
The IET is a professional home for life for its members and supports them throughout their careers.
For more information, visit www.theiet.org.

Media enquiries to:
Robert Beahan, Media Relations Manager
T: +44 (0)1438 767336
M: +44 (0)7595 400912
E : rbeahan@theiet.org