IET logo

IET temporarily relocates to the Institution of Mechanical Engineers

The Institution of Engineering and Technology (IET) has completed its temporary move to the Institution of Mechanical Engineers premises at One Birdcage Walk, Westminster.

The temporary co-location, expected to last until mid-2015, will allow a comprehensive refurbishment of the IET’s London venue at Savoy Place, while providing a central London base for the IET including member facilities, events, library and meetings.

IET President Professor Andy Hopper CBE said: “We are delighted to have temporarily relocated to the Institution of Mechanical Engineers. Between us we represent over 250,000 engineers and technicians right around the world and this co-location will be a major opportunity for us to work in collaboration in the interests of the professional engineering community.”

Institution of Mechanical Engineers’ President Patrick Kniveton said: “It is my pleasure to welcome the IET to our historic building in the centre of Westminster.
Over the next two years we will look for more opportunities which can be exploited, either bilaterally or within the greater engineering community, which will benefit our respective memberships and, more importantly, the engineering profession as a whole."

The temporary co-location will enable both institutions to pursue closer working, for the good of the engineering profession. This will include activities such as joint policy submissions to Government and co-branded events and lectures.

The IET has been based at Savoy Place since 1909 when it society of just over 5,000 members, to the present day international community of over 150,000 engineers and technicians.

The refurbished Savoy Place will provide vastly improved facilities, including an enhanced “Member First” space which will meet the needs of professional engineers, attracting existing and new members into the building to meet and interact.

ENDS

Notes to editors:

Interview opportunities are available with IET spokespersons.
The IET is leading the development of an international engineering and technology community, sharing and advancing knowledge to enhance people’s lives. The IET is the Professional Home for Life® for engineers and technicians, and a trusted source of Essential Engineering Intelligence®.

For more information, visit www.theiet.org
Follow the IET on Twitter.

Media enquiries to:
Robert Beahan, External Communications Manager
T: +44 (0)1438 767336
M: +44 (0)7595 400912
E: rbeahan@theiet.org