ABI: Oliver Letwin announced as keynote speaker at ABI Biennial Conference on 9 July
The Association of British Insurers (ABI) today confirms that the Rt Hon Oliver Letwin MP will deliver a keynote speech at its forthcoming biennial strategy conference ‘Meeting the Challenges of a Changing World’, which will take place on 9 July 2013 at the Grange Tower Bridge Hotel, in partnership with KPMG.
The Rt Hon Oliver Letwin MP is the minister responsible for developing government policies within the Cabinet Office and has led negotiations between the Government and the insurance industry on flood insurance.
ABI director general Otto Thoresen said:
“This is a rare opportunity to hear Oliver Letwin set out his views on the future challenges for the Government and the insurance industry. We have an A-list line up of speakers at the conference and it is bound to be thought-provoking. We plan to kick-start the debate about how insurers can play a wider role in building a financially resilient society and strong economy. It really is a must-attend for all those involved in the insurance industry.”
Speakers and panellists at this year’s conference include:
Leading politicians including The Rt Hon Oliver Letwin MP, The Rt Hon Ed Balls MP, Shadow Chancellor and Chris Leslie MP, Shadow Financial Secretary to the Treasury.
Insurance industry commentators including Jon Hocking, Managing Director Morgan Stanley and Nick Pearce, Director at the Institute of Public Policy and Research.
Consumer leaders including: Gillian Guy, Chief Executive, Citizens Advice and Sue Lewis, Chair, FCA Financial Services Consumer Panel.Leading regulators including Martin Wheatley, Chief Executive, Financial Conduct Authority; Andrew Bailey, Deputy Governor of the Bank of England and Chief Executive, Prudential Regulation Authority and Gabriel Bernardino, Chairman, EIOPA.
- Insurance industry leaders including Tidjane Thiam, ABI Chairman and Group Chief Executive, Prudential; Adrian Grace, CEO, Aegon UK and Nigel Wilson, Group Chief Executive, Legal & General, Amanda Blanc, CEO, AXA Insurance, Commercial Lines & Personal Intermediary.
Conference places are £250 for employees of ABI member companies and £500 for non-members. To reserve a place at the ABI Biennial Conference 2013 ‘Meeting the Challenges of a Changing World’, which will take place on 9 July 2013 in London, or to view the confirmed speakers and programme, please visit the dedicated conference website at http://bit.ly/ABIBiennial2013.
Notes for Editors
1. Enquiries to:
Lorna Wiltshire: 020 7216 7521 | Mobile: 07725 245 288
Malcolm Tarling: 020 7216 7410 | Mobile: 07776 147 667
Linsey White: 020 7216 7415 | Mobile: 07885 998 011
Kelly Ostler-Coyle: 020 7216 7375 | Mobile: 07968 364 302
2. The ABI is the voice of the UK’s insurance, investment and long-term savings industry. It has over 300 members, which together account for around 90% of premiums in the UK domestic market.
The ABI’s role is to:
- Be the voice of the UK insurance industry, leading debate and speaking up for insurers.
- Represent the UK insurance industry to government, regulators and policy makers in the UK, EU and internationally, driving effective public policy and regulation.
- Advocate high standards of customer service within the industry and provide useful information to the public about insurance.
- Promote the benefits of insurance to the government, regulators, policy makers and the public.
The UK insurance industry is the third largest in the world and the largest in Europe. It is a vital part of the UK economy, managing investments amounting to 26% of the UK’s net worth and contributing the fourth highest corporation tax of any sector. Employing over 290,000 people in the UK alone, the insurance industry is also one of this country’s major exporters, with 28% of its net premium income coming from overseas business.
Insurance and businesses protect themselves against the everyday risks they face, enabling people to own their own homes, travel overseas, provide for a financially secure future and run businesses. Insurance underpins a healthy and prosperous society, enabling businesses and individuals to thrive, safe in the knowledge that problems can be handled and risks carefully managed. Every day, our members pay out £147 million in benefits to pensioners and long-term savers as well as £60 million in general insurance claims.
3. An ISDN line is available for broadcasts.
4. More news and information from the ABI is available on our website, www.abi.org.uk.